Orange garlands are simple and inexpensive to make. Plus the entire house will smell good in the process!
- Naval oranges (three should provide enough rounds for two mantel-size garlands)
- Twine, fishing wire or ribbon
- Paper towels, knife, scissors and baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Slice oranges about ¼ inch thick.
- Lay slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press a paper towel on top of each slice to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Bake for 2.5 to 3 (or more) hours. Flip every hour to bake evenly. Slices are finished when the peels are browned and the pulp becomes dry to the touch. Some slices may need more time than others.
- Let slices sit for a day or so to continue the drying process.
- Make two slits at the top of each slice and thread with twine, fishing wire or ribbon. Incorporate cinnamon sticks and greenery as well.