The holidays may look a little different this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still celebrate with a little bit of “holiday cheer” on the side. Cranberry margaritas provide the perfect seasonal twist on a classic cocktail and have been a holiday tradition in my family for years.
I know what you’re thinking, tequila and the winter holidays sounds like an unlikely pair. But trust me, whether you’re hosting a socially distanced get-together or simply looking to treat yourself, this drink will become an instant favorite.
- ¾ cup 100% cranberry juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups fresh or thawed cranberries
- ¾ cup lime juice
- ¾ cup tequila
- ½ cup orange liqueur (Triple Sec, Cointreau, etc.)
- Ice cubes
- Pour cranberry juice into the blender and reserve 1 Tbsp to coat the rims of your glasses.
- Sprinkle 3 Tbsp sugar onto a small plate. Dip the glasses (with rims coated in cranberry juice) in the sugar, and fill with ice.
- Set aside 10 cranberries, placing the rest in the blender with the water, sugar, lime juice, tequila and orange liqueur.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth, and pour the contents through a strainer.
- Pour the strained margarita into the glasses, add reserved berries and additional garnish as desired.
- For a bit of holiday decoration, spear two cranberries with a sprig of rosemary and place on top of drink OR
- Slice limes leftover from lime juice extraction, cut a notch into each of them and place on the rim of each glass.
* serves 2-3, depending on your enthusiasm